Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The X-Files



As a first post, I thought I would review the most recent landmark on my journey of Nerd-dom. That is, I finished the series, the X-Files (the original).



Oh, X-Files, we've had a tumultuous journey, you and I...

I first experienced the X-Files as a young boy, as my older brothers would watch it often. I remember the theme music scaring the daylights out of me, due to it's creepy, other-worldly sound, and terribly catchy melody. It even gave me nightmares when I laid eyes on the aliens in the series for the first time. Young Brock learned to steer clear of the living room once that theme music came on the television.

Now, however, having grown older, wiser, and a lot more brave, the show definitely did not give me the heeby-jeebies.. In fact, it was entertaining, fast becoming one of my favorites. A good mix of science fiction, supernatural fiction, and just plain fiction, X-Files became a favorite series of mine the more I watched. Mulder and Scully, with their uncomfortably obvious sexual tension, seemed to get into the weirdest of predicaments. Of course, every time that Mulder had an experience that would prove his theory of aliens' existence, or elements of the paranormal, Scully always missed out. Face-palming over Scully's naivete became a regular occurrence.



Aliens, ghosts, killers with crazy psychic powers, or mutated bug-men... On their own, it could sounds like a campy plot that has been done way too many times in way too many iterations. But, the X-Files did a good job of never taking itself too seriously, and always finding something unique in every episode. Finding a way to incorporate just about every major conspiracy theory into one series was a big undertaking, including having the agents investigate Bigfoot, Aliens, the Jersey Devil, Telekinesis, Demons, Shapeshifters, etc. And a great cast of recurring side characters, like the famous Cigarette-Smoking-Man, Assistant FBI director Skinner,and my personal favorites, the Lone Gunmen trio serve to help... or hinder... Mulder and Scully at every turn.

The X-Files also bravely made a cross-over onto the big screen when its first movie was released in theaters in between seasons. Why bravely? Because the movie would not have made much sense without having seen the many TV seasons before its release.



As much as I liked the series, I would say that the last two seasons seemed to drag, especially as... without giving too much away... certain characters make fewer and fewer appearances. However, with the introduction of some new X-Files agents, the show gained a new dynamic. It felt more like a spin-off at times, but still made for good television.

Overall, I am glad I gave the series a second chance, and am glad to have experienced it is a much older, and braver, self. I can chalk that one off my list, and move on to the next one.





Gonna work on watching the latest X-Files movie "I Want to Believe..."





Then move on the most recent X-Files season, which aired after many years of hiatus.



Until next time,
Stand proud and stay true to you inner nerd...

1 comment:

  1. I also loved The Lone Gunmen. Even just typing it makes me smile at the ironic name.

    ReplyDelete